Friday, January 30, 2009

January Daring Bakers Challenge: Tuiles



Oops...I'm just a tad late on posting this challenge. Due to last minute change of plans, I didn't get to finish my tuiles until this morning.

This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.

I chose to make the plain Tuiles from Angelique's recipe. I did make the batter a day ahead of time and it worked just fine. The cookies tasted great...just like a fresh fortune cookie (which would be a fun idea to do in the future with this recipe). I made a couple of simple bowls by forming them over the bottom of a muffin tin. I also played around and made a couple of snakes and bears for the boys (I'll post these a little later after snack time). I can see this simple cookie being a future favorite for baking with the boys. There are a lot of creative options you can explore.

We were also asked to accompany our tuiles with something light and fruity. I found a recipe for Simple Strawberry Mousse from Cooking Light (see below for link) and actually had all of the ingredients on hand. I did use frozen sliced strawberries in place of fresh. This time of year a much better option the the "fresh" ones available at our stores. The recipe calls for freezing the mousse. I was in a bit of a hurry, so I just scooped some of the soft mousse in the cup for the picture, but froze the rest. It does taste pretty yummy. A little taste of spring on this wintry Arkansas day.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Using Cooking Light for your mousse was a great idea as you really stuck to the 'lighten it up' mojo for this month's challenge :) Your tuile came out lovely and the mousse looks great :)

Unknown said...

The strawberry mousse sounds wonderful. Nice job on your tuiles!

toontz said...

Looks very light and airy. Yummy!

Dragon said...

So pretty! Great job on this month's challenge.